Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Felting coasters, stage 3







Okay, good thing this was the prototype! It's not bad, but there are some bugs I still need to work out, one of the biggest being size, no pun intended. I think that, as a coaster, the OSU CPT is too big. THe CPT will not, however, go to waste - I think it will be great as a hotpad!

Also, I think I may have to make the gray between the red and the white a bit wider so as to help prevent the red felting to the white, making it appear pink.....

The only other thing I can think of that needs to be tweaked is, I wasn't mindful enough of the stitching pre-felting, expecting a little more self correction. So the shaping isn't great. I'm hoping, though, once I get it blocked well, that that will take care of it. Now I just need to create a blocking board for it :D


**Noteworthy thought - this project felted down by 3 inches with 45 minutes in a super hot wash.

2 comments:

Tracie said...

Since it's a prototype, try washing it again. It will continue to felt. And while it's wet, pull it out and pin the hell out of it to a blocking board (aka, a cushion you don't mind sticking pins in).

Yeah, I'd put a bit more space between red and white.

Unknown said...

you think it would get even smaller? I'm thinking of just leaving it as is (I have pretty much blocked the shaping right) and giving it to them as a trivet or hotpad..... and just doing the coasters about 3 inches smaller, pre-felting....